Are you losing sleep because of that old mattress or yours? Or are you tired of trying to roll over that huge hill in the middle of your bed?
If you answer “yes” to either of these questions, it’s probably time to dispose of the old mattress and start shopping for a new one.
But before you can bring your new, comfy mattress into the house, you want to know how to dispose of a mattress that’s past its prime.
Our guide will give you the details you need to know to quickly and economically say goodbye to that old, tired mattress of yours.
Table of Contents
The Basics of Mattress Removal
Old mattress disposal is easy with Junk It.
We specialize in removing mattresses of all sizes, including:
- Queen; and
Hauling prices vary depending on the …
- Weight; and
… of your mattress. Also, depending on the condition of your mattress, it may require special treatment or packaging before pick up.
For specific details and prices for mattress pick up and disposal, contact us for details and a free quote.
4 FAQs About Mattress Removal
#1: How Can I Know When It’s Time to Dispose of My Mattress?
If you’re getting plenty of shut-eye on your snug and cozy mattress, by all means, keep using it.
But it might be time to get rid of your mattress if you (or your mattress) experience the following:
- Age – Some things get better with age but not mattresses. The life and quality of a mattress generally wear out after 7-10 years. By then, your mattress will probably show some wear and tear on the threads and springs, not to mention the unsightly stains. It’s time to let Junk It dispose of your mattress and start shopping.
- Allergies – Mattresses can be a haven for all kinds of allergens like dust mites, mold, and mildew. If you notice that your allergies wake you up at night, or you wake up sneezing or with a stuffy nose, it might be because of the allergens in your mattress.
- Back Pain – Mattresses come in all kinds of thicknesses and degrees of softness or hardness. Finding a mattress that works for you (and your back) can be a challenge. If you’re constantly waking up with back pain, your mattress may be to blame. Let Junk It pick it up for you, and take your time trying out lots of mattresses till you find one that you and your back agree on.
- Dirt and Grime – If your mattress is just downright yucky, it’s time to chuck it. Only you can decide what “yuck” means, but if it smells funky or the stains look like an abstract painting, it might be ready for the mattress graveyard. Junk It can take it off your hands and dispose of it for you.
#2: Can You Also Dispose of My Box Springs?
Yes, we can also dispose of the box springs along with mattress removal. For specific questions or instructions about how to prepare your box springs, give us a call today.
#3: Can My Mattress and/or Box Springs Be Recycled?
Recycling is always a good idea — less stuff in landfills is better for all of us.
The parts of a mattress like the …
- Steel springs
- Frames; and
… are all recyclable or can be reused in different ways.
But you can’t just dump your mattress in along with all the plastic, glass, and paper to recycle. You’ll likely need to find a facility that specializes in recycling items like mattresses.
Whenever possible, we bring mattresses and other recyclables to Environmentally Conscious Recycling. As a dry material waste recycler, their mission is to:
- Provide a one-stop recycling experience
- Encourage recycling in the community
- Reduce landfill disposal to protect green spaces
#4: What Do You Do With Old Mattresses?
At Junk It, we do our best to donate all items we pick up — including mattresses — if possible.
There are a variety of issues that would prohibit us from donating mattresses. So if we can’t donate them, we’ll dispose of them at a recycling facility or other appropriate location.
Let Junk It Take Your Worries Away by Removing Your Old Mattress for You
If you’ve decided it’s time to bid adieu to that old, uncomfortable, or gross mattress, Junk It, a Portland-area junk removal service, can take care of it for you.
In addition to mattresses, we remove all kinds of items like:
- Electronic waste
- Yard debris
- Office junk
- Construction materials
- And more
And Junk It offers other services including:
- Hoarder clean up
- Estate cleanout
- Real estate junk removal
- Office furniture removal; and
- Day porter service
For a quote and friendly service, contact Junk It for your Portland junk removal needs.